In order to be a writer, you must write.
This can be achieved through the maintenance of epic creativity and inspiration levels which in turn are fuelled by motivation.
This is particularly important to the budding writer who needs adequate motivation to keep writing.
Below I share 12 of these which I’ve found to provide the needed inspiration, motivation and support I need when writing.
1. “The reason one writes isn’t the fact he wants to say something. He writes because he has something to say.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
2. “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” – Ernest Hemingway
3. “The secret of becoming a writer is to write, write and keep on writing.”– Ken MacLeod
4. “A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.” – Richard Bach
5. “Inspiration is a guest that does not willingly visit the lazy.” – Pyotr Tchaikovsky
6. “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” – Louis L’amour
7. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” – Maya Angelou
8. “If you would not be forgotten, As soon as you are dead and rotten, Either write things worthy reading, Or do things worth the writing.” – Benjamin Franklin
9. “I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I’m afraid of.” – Joss Whedon
10. “Dead last” is greater than “did not finish” which trumps “did not start.” – Anonymous
11. “Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.” – E. L. Doctorow
12. “Writing is its own reward.” – Henry Miller
These quotes keep many writers going and I’m sure they’d work for you too. Learn them, live them and your writing life would never remain the same.
Question: what other writers’ quotes do you know? Share with us in the comments section below.