Sentences are the lifeblood of our conversations.
Yes, those aggregations of words, phrases and clauses are vital to communication. Their calibre could serve as a boost to the spread of our message.
It is with this in mind that we appreciate the need to write better sentences.
Truth is: every so often, we know what we want to say, but the words doesn’t seem to flow and we’re struck wordless. This problem gets worse when we’re writing.
To this end, in today’s post, I’d teach you how to practically improve your writing and speaking with better sentence structure.
Why Improve your Sentence Structure?
As I’ve noted earlier, sentences are very important to communication and this central position accords some responsibilities on them. Sentences define your speech.
What you say is all embedded in how you say it. Hence the need for good sentence structure.
To put this simply, without a good sentence structure, you can easily be misunderstood by your audience.
Thus, the main function that a good sentence structure plays is that of ensuring clarity of communication.
Tips to Constructing Better Sentences
1. Use Transitional Words: transitional words such as however, therefore, thus and then amongst others help keep your Sentences in sync with each other. They serve as a link creating connections between different thoughts in your speech and writing.
2. Use Active Voice: the vibe, and zeal you employ during your writing and speaking is a function of your word choice. This is why smart writers and speakers always employ the active voice in their piece. However, care must be taken not to scale active voice into loudness. Nobody appreciates noise least of all your audience.
3. Use Active Verbs: this can as well fall under active voice above but because of the importance of verbs to communication, I’d decided to draw your attention specifically to them. Make it a rule of thumb to always use active verbs as against passive ones. This is usually the striking difference between a persuasive writer or speaker and one who’s not.
4. Abide by Grammatical Rules: grammatical rules such as the subject – role – object, are not fancy stuff. They are important in that they help structure your Sentences in such a way that they make perfect sense fulfilling your communication desires. Always abide by them.!
5. Keep it Short and Simple (Kiss): this is by far the most important of all the tips. Whether you are writing or speaking, formally or informally, make it a habit to always keep your Sentences short and simple. Keeping them this way ensures conciseness, brevity and clarity of communication which I believe are the biggest aims of communication.
Great sentences birth awesome pieces ensuring solid communication.
Always make it a habit to incorporate these tips into your daily written and spoken communication and you’d surely see a great improvement in your message spread.
Question: what other tips to constructing better sentences do you know? Share with us by leaving a comment.
Also published on Medium.